From the beginning my group had a very ambitious idea of what our final playhouse would look like. The group wanted to build an 8 foot tall structure with a sliding pole inside, a climbing wall on one side, and a roof with a railing, upon which the kids would walk. The group also wanted to make swords and shields and a chest for the kids,to put all their toys in, and paint the castle gray with a brick pattern to emulate a castle look as well as put a flag bearing a castle logo on the top and paint vines climbing up the side of our playhouse to add an old look to the playhouse.
When the group finished this list of ideas I immediately told them that there was no way we could possibly build the structure we had just envisioned. It would take too much time and too many materials to build. My group ignored my petty concerns and went to work. The first couple of weeks we worked hard. We finished our floor quickly, and we were lucky enough to have the same color flooring, unlike many other groups. We then moved to the walls and siding, erecting our structure. We now had an 8 foot tall skeleton of our playhouse. Every Monday when we would have a short class period we would work on the small things. We made swords, shields, and a cage that would support our slinging pole. We also made a chest that would hold toys in it as well as serve as a bench. Getting the pole installed was one of the toughest parts. The pole is heavy, and 12 feet long. It takes at least two of us to carry it. Our playhouse, which now had a roof on it, was only 8 feet tall and our door was even smaller, around 4’5″. Getting the pole in was a struggle, we had to maneuver it through our small door and somehow poke it through the opening we had made in the top. Luckily it ended in a major success. We now use it all the time to get up and down the roof, or just for fun. Our next task was to make the climbing wall. Every other group was focusing on finishing their roofing or doing their trimming while we were still putting on the climbing wall. To catch up with the rest we had to split the team up and have two people working on roofing and two people working on the wall. We did all this in two class periods. We made the base of the climbing wall together as a group, and then we split up to either work on the climbing blocks or the roof. Everson and Andreas were working on the climbing blocks while Nich and I worked on putting on roofing and railing. We now have a functioning climbing wall and water proof roof with rubber as well as a sliding pole, swords, shields, and a chest. Yet we still have more to do. We haven’t started the railing or the painting, which will be by far the hardest part. I am confident though in my groups ability to complete these tasks in no time and make this play house look amazing. I am proud of my groups accomplishments and quite surprised that we have almost built the impossible castle that we envisioned at the start. We are so close, and there is not much time left and I can’t wait to finish it and let the kids see what we have created.